Friday, July 22, 2005

Teething troubles.....




We had a busy day here today or a long one. We started out the day with a 2 hour visit to Mia. She has a fever today, so she was not in high spirits. She slept most of our first visit, and we only saw her for an hour the second visit, but she laid on me the whole time. She is cutting teeth and I think they are bothering her a lot. She has a runny nose as well. The nurse would like to say that it is because we had the windows open! Either way, we just cuddled with her.

We had lunch at a Russian kitchen and I had a dish similar to a fried ravioli. It was very good. They also have ‘pancakes’ that appear to be crepes with different fillings. We had a ham and cheese and a mushroom, chicken and onion one. They were also quite tasty.

After lunch, we went to the salon, so I could get my nails filled and my toes painted. It was an event! We were treated like celebrities because they have never had Americans in their salon. It took 3 hours for the fill and a pedicure. It was about $30 US. So, cheaper than at home. It was a great experience though. We ate dinner at an outdoor cafĂ© downtown. It was nice as well. We had a large pork shish-ka-bob, a cream cheese ‘pancake’ and a large grilled ravioli. We also tried a couple beers. The food here is not expensive. We had all that for 890 tenge or $6.50 US!

Our driver was flagged over by the police this afternoon. He was speeding. They were friendly and laughing and our translator said, ‘do not worry, it will be nothing.’ So we waited and watched. Our driver came back to the car for a pack of cigarettes and gave one each to the policemen. They smoked and talked and came to the car to look inside. I asked, ‘is everything ok?’ Leena said, ‘yes, they just wanted to look at the American woman.’ I felt really weird about it, but our driver was back in the car and we were on the road again! So, whatever, right?

Tomorrow, we will go to the outdoor markets during our breaks from visiting Mia. I will be able to pick up some souvenirs. I am pretty excited about it! So, more soon…..

Love and hugs, big kisses to our kids,

Sonja (and Gavin)

No comments: